Meeting Maker upgrade question
William M. Fennell
2007-02-14 15:42:29 UTC
Good Morning,

I am planning an upgrade from 7.5.3 to 8.5.3.
Can anyone offer a candid review of the auto-upgrade feature?

Thanks,

Bill
--
--------------------
William M. Fennell

* MMXP-TALK Web Page: http://WWW.LISTSERV.Emory.Edu/Archives/MMXP-TALK.HTML
Erik Froese
William M. Fennell
2007-02-14 17:02:50 UTC
yes. I think I need to go to 8.5.3 then to 8.6.

--------------------
William M. Fennell
UNIX System Administrator
Channing Laboratory
Latesha Williams
2007-02-14 15:57:25 UTC
Yes we upgraded last month. The v8.5.3 auto-upgrade feature does not
work for Macintosh users. For Windows users, download the upgrade
client .ZIP file to a Windows machine and follow the MM documentation to
setup a background push of the v8.5.3 upgrade files from the v7.3
MMadmin tool. Give yourself about two weeks if you have several hundred
users. The background push will create a new directory called
C:\Program Files\MeetingMaker\MMUpgrdC on each client. After the server
is upgraded, the client will receive message that the server has been
upgraded and asks whether the user wishes to work offline, or upgrade.
This is a much more efficient method to upgrade clients.

-L
Post by William M. Fennell
Good Morning,
I am planning an upgrade from 7.5.3 to 8.5.3.
Can anyone offer a candid review of the auto-upgrade feature?
Thanks,
Bill
--
Latesha Williams
Applications Support, Information Technology
American Museum of Natural History
212.769.5947 (Office)
917.837.2460 (Cell)

* MMXP-TALK Web Page: http://WWW.LISTSERV.Emory.Edu/Archives/MMXP-TALK.HTML
John S. Bellendir
2007-02-14 16:01:50 UTC
Remember the user must have local admin privileges to install the client. I
found this one out the hard way

John

Raoul Armfield
2007-02-14 16:27:26 UTC
Note however that if you are using intellisync you will have to manually
install the new client. Also if you are installing the server on a
linux box make sure that you review the syntax of the mmserver command.
It is easy to forget some switches and only export data back 6 months.

Raoul
Post by William M. Fennell
Good Morning,
I am planning an upgrade from 7.5.3 to 8.5.3.
Can anyone offer a candid review of the auto-upgrade feature?
Thanks,
Bill
--
Latesha Williams
Applications Support, Information Technology American Museum of Natural
History
212.769.5947 (Office)
917.837.2460 (Cell)
* MMXP-TALK Web Page: http://WWW.LISTSERV.Emory.Edu/Archives/MMXP-TALK.HTML
* MMXP-TALK Web Page: http://WWW.LISTSERV.Emory.Edu/Archives/MMXP-TALK.HTML
--
Raoul Armfield
rarmfield at amnh dot org

* MMXP-TALK Web Page: http://WWW.LISTSERV.Emory.Edu/Archives/MMXP-TALK.HTML
William M. Fennell
2007-02-14 17:42:31 UTC
Thanks. What about users with Palm devices ? Were the conduits
included in the auto-upgrade?

Bill

--------------------
William M. Fennell
UNIX System Administrator
Channing Laboratory
Ian Eiloart
2007-02-14 18:09:21 UTC
--On 14 February 2007 10:42:29 -0500 "William M. Fennell"
Post by William M. Fennell
Good Morning,
I am planning an upgrade from 7.5.3 to 8.5.3.
Can anyone offer a candid review of the auto-upgrade feature?
It doesn't work.
Post by William M. Fennell
Thanks,
Bill
--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex

* MMXP-TALK Web Page: http://WWW.LISTSERV.Emory.Edu/Archives/MMXP-TALK.HTML
Ian Eiloart
2007-02-15 11:30:21 UTC
Post by William M. Fennell
Good Morning,
I am planning an upgrade from 7.5.3 to 8.5.3.
Can anyone offer a candid review of the auto-upgrade feature?
It doesn't work.
For clarification:

It doesn't work on Macs at all. It doesn't work on PCs with locked down
desktops, such as are often deployed in educational establishments.
Post by Ian Eiloart
Post by William M. Fennell
Thanks,
Bill

John Astleford
2007-02-23 19:43:07 UTC
We had upgraded from version 7.5.3 to 8.5.3 in August of 2006. The
auto-upgrade feature works as Latesha stated. Yes you will need admin
privileges on the computer unless you have a default image that allows the
users certain access. The auto-upgrade feature for Macintosh still does not
work, but when you upgrade your server put the Mac client in the Upgrades
section of the Admin Tool and they will be able to "pull" the client over to
their computers and run the upgrade.

One error we have seen with the Macs is "network not configured properly",
which is a pain but they can go into the Server section and select the
appropriate one which in turn allows them to log in. Other than that it all
functionality seems to be working as it had been; the exception being slower
accessing and loading times.

John Astleford
CTS Help Desk
***@duq.edu