8.5.1 is "out"
Jeff Hardy
2005-04-25 17:15:14 UTC
FYI: MM sales is saying that MM 8.5.1 is out, and while there is no
mention of it on their website anywhere, a colleague of mine stumbled
across the files on their FTP site (the subdirectory is v851).

Which brings me to a question: if an auto-upgrade has been started
pushing out the 8.5.0 client, what happens if you cancel out that
upgrade and start pushing out the 8.5.1 client? Are the files
overwritten or does this create a huge mess? I have heard that in the
past this was not a good idea.

* MMXP-TALK Web Page: http://WWW.LISTSERV.Emory.Edu/Archives/MMXP-TALK.HTML
Joseph Hargitai
2005-04-25 18:28:46 UTC
Does the shutdown script work in the new release? Or a patch for previous?

--
Joseph Hargitai
ITS eServices

Bobby Ramirez
2005-04-25 18:41:39 UTC
Could you please explain the problems with the shutdown script? I'm
having a problem where I set the auto-shutdown for a specific time, but
it ends up waiting to shutdown until the worst possible time - about
six hours later when my users need to access the server. Is this the
same problem? I'm running this on OS X server 10.3.9. Thanks.

Joseph Hargitai
2005-04-25 20:07:12 UTC
We are running it on Solaris - shutdown script just does not shut down.
You have to kill -9 it.

--
Joseph Hargitai
ITS eServices

Jeff Hardy
2005-04-25 20:23:36 UTC
Looks like 8.5.1 is only a client release.

But, in our 8.5.0 test server on Linux, shutdown does not work. Their
script never worked on our current 7.5 Linux server either.

Rich Battin
2005-04-25 20:35:00 UTC
--============_-1097661187==_ma============

I set the auto shutdown for 3 AM and it happened at 10 AM! In the
Server Admin I know I had set the correct time zone but somehow it
reverted to GMT! I reset the time zone and it works fine now on a Mac
10.3.9 server.

What's New in the Meeting Maker Calendar v8.5.1

Classic View
You can use Classic View to display more hours during the day in the
Daily View.

Publish to HTML Automatically
You can publish your calendar in HTML format by using the Publish
feature in the Meeting Maker Client. You can choose how often to
refresh the HTML calendar with updated information, as well as the
range of dates to publish.

Import vCalendar Objects
vCalendar support allows you to add meeting invitations to your
calendar from people and calendars outside of your organization.

Create Events on Date Selected
When you create a new event (meeting, activity, or banner) from the
taskbar or the File menu, the event is created on the date you have
selected in the Monthly Navigator instead of the current date.

,-----/----.
'-----\----'

* MMXP-TALK Web Page: http://WWW.LISTSERV.Emory.Edu/Archives/MMXP-TALK.HTML

--============_-1097661187==_ma============

blockquote, dl, ul, ol, li { padding-top: 0 ; padding-bottom: 0 }
Server Admin I know I had set the correct time zone but somehow it
reverted to GMT! I reset the time zone and it works fine now on a Mac
10.3.9 server.</div>
Classic View<br>
</b>You can use Classic View to display more hours during the day in
the Daily View.<br>
<b>Publish to HTML Automatically<br>
</b>You can publish your calendar in HTML format by using the Publish
feature in the Meeting Maker Client. You can choose how often to
refresh the HTML calendar with updated information, as well as the
range of dates to publish.<br>
<b>Import vCalendar Objects<br>
</b>vCalendar support allows you to add meeting invitations to your
calendar from people and calendars outside of your organization.<br>
the taskbar or the File menu, the event is created on the date you
have selected in the Monthly Navigator instead of the current
date.<br>
with the shutdown script? I'm having a problem where I set the
auto-shutdown for a specific time, but it ends up waiting to shutdown
until the worst possible time - about six hours later when my users
need to access the server. Is this the same problem? I'm running this
on OS X server 10.3.9. Thanks.<br>
On Apr 25, 2005, at 1:28 PM, Joseph Hargitai wrote:<br>
release? Or a patch for previous?<br>
--<br>
Joseph Hargitai<br>
ITS eServices<br>
On Mon, 25 Apr 2005, Jeff Hardy wrote:<br>
out, and while there is no<br>
mention of it on their website anywhere, a colleague of mine
stumbled<br>
across the files on their FTP site (the subdirectory is v851).<br>
Which brings me to a question: if an auto-upgrade has been started<br>
pushing out the 8.5.0 client, what happens if you cancel out that<br>
upgrade and start pushing out the 8.5.1 client?&nbsp; Are the
files<br>
overwritten or does this create a huge mess?&nbsp; I have heard that
in the<br>
past this was not a good idea.<br>
* MMXP-TALK Web Page:&nbsp;
http://WWW.LISTSERV.Emory.Edu/Archives/MMXP-TALK.HTML<br>
* MMXP-TALK Web Page:&nbsp;
http://WWW.LISTSERV.Emory.Edu/Archives/MMXP-TALK.HTML<br>
* MMXP-TALK Web Page:&nbsp;
http://WWW.LISTSERV.Emory.Edu/Archives/MMXP-TALK.HTML</blockquote>
<x-sigsep><pre>
</pre></x-sigsep>
,-----/----.<br>
|&nbsp; O&nbsp; | O&nbsp; |&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Rich Battin<br>
|&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; /&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; |&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Apple Certified Technician<br>
|&nbsp;&nbsp; (__&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; |&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Academy School
District Twenty<br>
'-----\----'<br>
* MMXP-TALK Web Page: http://WWW.LISTSERV.Emory.Edu/Archives/MMXP-TALK.HTML
Rich Battin
2005-04-25 22:34:02 UTC
Rich Battin <***@d20.co.edu> wrote:

> What's New in the Meeting Maker Calendar v8.5.1

WARNING! There's probably a good reason they haven't released 8.5.1 to the
public yet. According to the Readme file included it was ready March 1 yet
still not officially released two months later. Hmmm. Just because it's
available isn't a good enough reason yet. I installed it fine on several users
without problem but with one very busy user it hung Meeting Maker longer than
I wanted to wait every time so went back to 8.5 and all is fine.
This mail sent using V-webmail - http://www.v-webmail.org

* MMXP-TALK Web Page: http://WWW.LISTSERV.Emory.Edu/Archives/MMXP-TALK.HTML
Ian Eiloart
2005-04-26 09:18:30 UTC
--On April 25, 2005 14:35:00 -0600 Rich Battin <***@D20.CO.EDU> wrote:

> I set the auto shutdown for 3 AM and it happened at 10 AM! In the Server
> Admin I know I had set the correct time zone but somehow it reverted to
> GMT! I reset the time zone and it works fine now on a Mac 10.3.9 server.
>
> What's New in the Meeting Maker Calendar v8.5.1
>
> Import vCalendar Objects
> vCalendar support allows you to add meeting invitations to your calendar
> from people and calendars outside of your organization.

That's not new. 8.5.0 allows it. There's no menu item to help you find the
feature, but dragging a .ics file into your client window seems to work. It
could really do with an "accept all" button. Instead, you have to accept
each event individually.

It doesn't import untimed events - I was astonished to realise that.

--
Ian Eiloart
Servers Team

* MMXP-TALK Web Page: http://WWW.LISTSERV.Emory.Edu/Archives/MMXP-TALK.HTML
Jack Newton
2005-04-26 12:13:30 UTC
Isn't there a formatting difference between ical(ics) a vcal(vcs) objects? Wouldn't this mean they accept another type of format since we knew they took ical before?

Jack

Jack Newton
2005-04-26 12:17:45 UTC
Why would you WANT to use the auto-shutdown function?

It's much more efficient and safe to use the operating systems own scripting to shut down and back up everything. Especially for Solaris, Linux and OS X where you can set up a cron job to run every night to stop the meetingmaker server. It resets the processes and allows you to use your own system back up to do the job.

Haven't had one problem since we implemented this.

Jack

Joseph Hargitai
2005-04-26 12:31:57 UTC
Jack:

We are running a cron job to call the shutdown script, which does not shut
the server down.

--
Joseph Hargitai
ITS eServices

Jack Newton
2005-04-26 13:36:38 UTC
I seem to remember this issue, the problem is literally an extra space is needed in the shutdown script because of the length of the process number. I know for the new version you can request the new S99mmserver script from support. It would make sense if they posted this in their online docs though.

Jack

Jack Newton
2005-04-26 13:37:57 UTC
In our experience, adding a new installer to the Auto Upgrade will overwrite the original.

Jack

Jack Newton
2005-04-26 13:40:31 UTC
That's odd, if anything I see a faster client response, what OS is it?

Jack

Jack Newton
2005-04-26 13:44:45 UTC
On the not importing untimed events note, the problem is not with Meeting Maker but the official standard for ical. That standard specifically states that ALL events MUST have a start and an end time or it will not be compliant.

So things like Outlook and Apple iCal are technically not compliant with the official calendaring standard. So Meeting Maker has a choice to not be compliant with the official standard or to program their own work around that could change in the future.

Ah the wonderful world of compliance....

Jack

Rich Battin
2005-04-26 14:53:29 UTC
Windows XP is on the secretary's PC.

This user is also having problems getting an initial sync on his
desktop (also WinXP) to the Meeting Maker Connector for Outlook but
has successfully gotten it to work on his WinXP laptop so he can
synch a Blackberry phone. There is a trouble ticket with support
looking into this "known problem."

Rich

'-----\----'

* MMXP-TALK Web Page: http://WWW.LISTSERV.Emory.Edu/Archives/MMXP-TALK.HTML
Ian Eiloart
2005-04-26 16:02:23 UTC
--On April 26, 2005 13:44:45 +0000 Jack Newton <***@COMCAST.NET>
wrote:

> On the not importing untimed events note, the problem is not with Meeting
> Maker but the official standard for ical. That standard specifically
> states that ALL events MUST have a start and an end time or it will not
> be compliant.

Well, that's true of the earlier vCalendar specification
<http://www.imc.org/pdi/vcal-10.txt>, but not of iCalendar (note that iCal
isn't a standard, it's the name of several applications that support
iCalendar, though).

In 4.8.2.4 of rfc 2445, DTSTART is defined like this:

dtstart = "DTSTART" dtstparam ":" dtstval CRLF

and DTSTVAL like this:

dtstval = date-time / date

The format of DATE is specified in 4.3.4. Unlike DATE-TIME, it doesn't have
a time value.

Meeting Maker's exported ics files claim to be VERSION 2.0, which is the
version supported by rfc2445.

So, I think the file that I'm looking at (a Brown Bear vCalendar export
file), is compliant - although it is rubbish in other ways. It exports
repeating meetings as a series of single events, for example!

Bob Beverlin
2005-04-26 16:36:54 UTC
help

* MMXP-TALK Web Page: http://WWW.LISTSERV.Emory.Edu/Archives/MMXP-TALK.HTML