Hopefully not a completely dead horse
Brad Barry
2006-12-21 20:29:16 UTC
Hello all.

I administer a 7.5 server for an office of about 100 users - we are NOT on any maintenance plan with People Cube, and we will never be. If anything ever happens to MM 7.5 which People Cube refuses to patch, we'll be going the Exchange server route (much to my disgust - please don't reply to this message with your favorite alternative, they're all lacking).

At any rate, I got the fearmongering doomsday notice from People Cube about 7.5 not being able to cope with imminent DST changes.

I saw that Mr. Jack Newton stated (in a September thread) that MeetingMaker is DST agnostic for events scheduled in the same time zone as the user.

If this is true, can someone explain exactly how it is that MeetingMaker takes DST into account? Can someone give an example of how the DST change will cause problems for users scheduling events in multiple time zones?

What I don't get is how DST figures into anything at all if all of the time zones involved are uniformly affected (or unaffected) by the recent act of congress.

It seems to me that if Bob lives in the central time zone and Alice lives in the eastern time zone that the only thing Meeting Maker would be aware of is that there is a 1 hour offset, so Alice would see the meeting as beginning at 10am and Bob would see it beginning at 9am. WHY DOES MEETINGMAKER CARE WHEN DST BEGINS?

Thanks

* MMXP-TALK Web Page: http://WWW.LISTSERV.Emory.Edu/Archives/MMXP-TALK.HTML
Ron Blitz
2006-12-21 20:51:06 UTC
Peoplecube hosted a webinar to explain the effect of DST time changes and
how this will be handled in Meeting Maker 8.6.
The webinar explained that the only impact will occur in areas that do not
change their clocks for daylight savings time. Examples given were Arizona,
part of Indiana and most of Europe. If you don't have users in these regions
that would be included in your company meetings, you won't see any
scheduling issues. If you do have users in these regions, you will only have
scheduling issues within the 4 week extension window for DST starting in
2007.

Ron Blitz
Technical Services Analyst
Northwestern University

Stuenkel, MaryBeth
2006-12-21 21:17:12 UTC
The impact will be in scheduling meetings during the delta periods (i.e.
the time between the new start or end of DST and the old ones) with
people in timezones that do not make the pending change. For the most
part, that means non-US timezones, including Canada. If all of your
meetings are within US timezones who will make the change, you will see
no impact.

--MaryBeth

Ian Eiloart
2006-12-22 11:06:14 UTC
--On 21 December 2006 14:51:06 -0600 Ron Blitz <r-***@NORTHWESTERN.EDU>
wrote:

> Peoplecube hosted a webinar to explain the effect of DST time changes and
> how this will be handled in Meeting Maker 8.6.
> The webinar explained that the only impact will occur in areas that do not
> change their clocks for daylight savings time.

That can't quite be true, except in the US. Essentially, the change splits
the world into two zones, (A) those parts of the US that employ daylight
savings and maybe some parts of Canada, and (B) the rest of the world,
including Arizona and part of Indiana. People in area (A) won't be able to
schedule reliably with people in area (B), during periods around the end of
March and around the end of October.

Although the impact may be technically limited to a relatively few marginal
cases, the psychological effect to a user will be that older MM software
can't be reliably used to schedule across time zones.

If you're only in one of those areas (A or B), then you might be OK because
MM takes it's time from your computer's clock, which should respect your
local DST. However, even if you don't have users outside your area, they
might still use the Display time zone feature to schedule holiday (or
conference) travels, or Meeting Maker webinars and so on. That feature will
break during the extension periods.

> Examples given were
> Arizona, part of Indiana and most of Europe.

Actually, we do have Daylight Saving Time in Europe, but we call it "Summer
Time".

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex

* MMXP-TALK Web Page: http://WWW.LISTSERV.Emory.Edu/Archives/MMXP-TALK.HTML
Ron Blitz
2006-12-21 21:25:01 UTC
Could anyone provide guidance or documentation on whether it is possible to
do SSL over LDAP for Meeting Maker user authentication without installing
the Peoplecube LDAP gateway software. Peoplecube says that it's possible but
we need specific instructions and we're having difficulty getting ahold of
this information.

If anyone has experience with this subject, please let me know.

Ron Blitz
Technical Services Analyst
NUIT-TSS-Support Services
Northwestern University
Office 847-467-5943

* MMXP-TALK Web Page: http://WWW.LISTSERV.Emory.Edu/Archives/MMXP-TALK.HTML
Rich Trouton
2006-12-21 21:31:43 UTC
You may want to check the MM 8.6 FAQ, it helped me figure out if I
needed to upgrade or not (long story short, I don't.)

http://connect.peoplecube.com/kbimages/MMv86FAQ.pdf

Thanks,
Rich

On Dec 21, 2006, at 3:29 PM, Brad Barry wrote:

> Hello all.
>
> I administer a 7.5 server for an office of about 100 users - we are
> NOT on any maintenance plan with People Cube, and we will never be.
> If anything ever happens to MM 7.5 which People Cube refuses to
> patch, we'll be going the Exchange server route (much to my disgust
> - please don't reply to this message with your favorite
> alternative, they're all lacking).
>
> At any rate, I got the fearmongering doomsday notice from People
> Cube about 7.5 not being able to cope with imminent DST changes.
>
> I saw that Mr. Jack Newton stated (in a September thread) that
> MeetingMaker is DST agnostic for events scheduled in the same time
> zone as the user.
>
> If this is true, can someone explain exactly how it is that
> MeetingMaker takes DST into account? Can someone give an example of
> how the DST change will cause problems for users scheduling events
> in multiple time zones?
>
> What I don't get is how DST figures into anything at all if all of
> the time zones involved are uniformly affected (or unaffected) by
> the recent act of congress.
>
> It seems to me that if Bob lives in the central time zone and Alice
> lives in the eastern time zone that the only thing Meeting Maker
> would be aware of is that there is a 1 hour offset, so Alice would
> see the meeting as beginning at 10am and Bob would see it beginning
> at 9am. WHY DOES MEETINGMAKER CARE WHEN DST BEGINS?
>
> Thanks
>

> * MMXP-TALK Web Page: http://WWW.LISTSERV.Emory.Edu/Archives/MMXP-
> TALK.HTML

---

Rich Trouton (Contractor)
LAN Support
***@mail.nih.gov
National Human Genome Research Institute
National Institutes of Health — Bethesda, MD

Office number:
(240) 643-7816

NHGRI LAN Support number:
(301) 402-7408

The best way to get in touch with me is through email.

* MMXP-TALK Web Page: http://WWW.LISTSERV.Emory.Edu/Archives/MMXP-TALK.HTML