Web Client
David Tice
2005-05-12 15:07:10 UTC
Hello to All,

We are thinking about strictly using the web client for version 8.5.1.

Is there anyone out there who is doing this?

Have there been many problems?

The only difference between the desktop client and the web client I have
found is the email notification piece, which we do not use anyway.
What are the major differences that I may have missed?

What kind of "gotchas" are out there if we take this route?

Any help would be great.

TIA

David

David Tice
System Administrator
Wheaton College
26 East Main St
Norton, MA 02766
***@wheatonma.edu
508.286.3406

* MMXP-TALK Web Page: http://WWW.LISTSERV.Emory.Edu/Archives/MMXP-TALK.HTML
Ian Eiloart
2005-05-12 15:31:20 UTC
--On 12 May 2005 11:07:10 -0400 David Tice <***@WHEATONMA.EDU> wrote:

> Hello to All,
>
> We are thinking about strictly using the web client for version 8.5.1.
>
> Is there anyone out there who is doing this?
>
> Have there been many problems?
>
> The only difference between the desktop client and the web client I have
> found is the email notification piece, which we do not use anyway.
> What are the major differences that I may have missed?
>
> What kind of "gotchas" are out there if we take this route?

You can't work off line. That's important for laptops and dial-up users.

Also, you can't drag an icalendar file onto your web browser.

Also, you need MUCH more resource on your server to support this. RAM
requirements are 90MB + 1 RAM per user of the java server. That's on top of
the resource that the mmserver uses (about 15MB total with 10 servers and
200 users).

If you're going to go web only, you may as well go with one of the many
excellent open source web collaboration tools out there. No licensing
costs.

--
Ian Eiloart
Servers Team

* MMXP-TALK Web Page: http://WWW.LISTSERV.Emory.Edu/Archives/MMXP-TALK.HTML
Jack Newton
2005-05-12 15:44:13 UTC
Another difference is there is no group view which many people find useful.

Though the ram requirements can be high (which is really based on the Tomcat requirements for a java servlet), we have found this works well for our users.

Basically the more you know about Tomcat, the better this solution will work for you.

Problem with open source solutions is the lack of support, consistent development program and the uncertainty of the product still existing a year from now. I'll stick with Meeting Maker for awhile since they have been an active company for around 10 years.

Looking forward to their mobile syncing solution that I hear from the grapevine will be out by the end of the year....

Jack

Ian Eiloart
2005-05-12 15:59:45 UTC
--On 12 May 2005 15:44:13 +0000 Jack Newton <***@COMCAST.NET> wrote:

> Problem with open source solutions is the lack of support, consistent
> development program and the uncertainty of the product still existing a
> year from now.

Hmm, I'm responsible for two services here. Exim (open source Mail
Transport Agent) and Meeting Maker. Exim has been around longer, does
support MUCH better, has tighter release schedules, and is a much more
reliable product. And, even though I have to compile it myself, it's easier
to set up than Meeting Maker.

How good is the support? With Meeting Maker I get a same day response when
I file a bug. Then I have to wait six months for the fix. With Exim, I
complained about the inability to change a very obscure parameter - I
wanted it to start up a bit slower. I didn't get a response the same day.
The next day, though, I was given a fix that I could apply myself to the
source code. Exim is essentially a one man outfit, with a much much larger
user base than Meeting Maker.

Jack Newton
2005-05-12 16:06:08 UTC
But your comparing a open source Mail client to a calendaring program. Find me the same open source comparison with calendaring and we'll talk.

Jack

Ian Eiloart
2005-05-12 16:10:52 UTC
--On 12 May 2005 16:06:08 +0000 Jack Newton <***@COMCAST.NET> wrote:

> But your comparing a open source Mail client to a calendaring program.
> Find me the same open source comparison with calendaring and we'll talk.
>
> Jack

The reason I'm sticking with Meeting Maker is that there isn't an open
source calendaring solution which has a client I can work off line with.
There aren't any open source solutions.

--
Ian Eiloart
Servers Team