fat client crashes, no error message, web client okay
Lance Gallup
2007-04-24 17:44:58 UTC
My apologies for posting this to the list. It's a tech support question f
or
sure, but I've had an incident open with MM and have gotten little to no
response. My user is a heavy MM user and has been very patient, but her
patience is wearing thin, as is mine.
The issue is an inability of this one user to start the 8.5.3 fat client,

either Mac or PC. AFAIK, everyone else is fine and the problem user is ab
le
to run the web client without incident. When she tries to login using
anything other than the web client, MM begins to start but shuts down wit
hin
ten seconds. No error messages, nothing. I've tried several different
machines, new installs of the client on new machines, run MMRX on the
database until it comes up clean and all that, but can't make any headway
. I
have an incident open with MM and it's been "escalated" and "being
investigated", but I haven't heard anything at all in a couple of weeks.
Short of creating a new account and migrating all the user's data over by

hand (and there's a lot of it) I wonder if anybody has any thoughts.
Thanks for your troubles - I now return you to your regularly scheduled
traffic...

* MMXP-TALK Web Page: http://WWW.LISTSERV.Emory.Edu/Archives/MMXP-TALK.HTML
John S. Bellendir
2007-04-24 18:07:39 UTC
I have a user with a completely full calendar as well (just about every hour
of every day has something scheduled). A similar thing happens to her too.
The only way I've found to help relieve this is to make sure the server
database only holds ~ 1 to 1.5 years of back data, anything more and her
calendar is so slow, she cannot do anything in it. We have told Meeting
Maker about this issue several times. They have provided a tool to get a
detailed log file from the client to help diagnose the problem but we have
submitted several of these log files with no response from MM. The user is
head of our Division and she is trying to be understanding but I'm not sure
how long that will last.

John

Lance Gallup
2007-04-25 14:31:18 UTC
Sounds like it could be related. I've run the client logger and sent a
couple of logs too but no solutions were forthcoming. My user doesn't hav
her entire calendar booked, but she uses MM a lot, and our database goes
back several years. I don't expect to be able to trim it down to a year o
two - I've tried flying that flag unsuccessfully a couple of times in the

past. We'll be bringing another calendaring option online very shortly -
maybe if the problem user is among those who want to migrate to the new
system the problem will go away on its' own.

* MMXP-TALK Web Page: http://WWW.LISTSERV.Emory.Edu/Archives/MMXP-TALK.HTML
John S. Bellendir
2007-04-25 15:22:39 UTC
I actually have another Meeting Maker server that we use as an "archive
server". Before a data purge I copy the database to this machine so users
can view the old data if they need to via the web. I think it's silly I need
to do this but any more than 2 years worth of data slows everything to a
crawl on the native client end. Our hardware is almost brand new, so no
problems there.

I would imagine it would not be an issue with another product. I seem to
recall a conversation with tech support about how they are working on the
database and it's efficiency. At the time they seemed to think it was the
main cause for the sluggish performance. Of course that's before Meeting
Maker turned into People Cube. After talking with them a few times fairly
recently they seemed to have forgotten about a few issues that were pending
before they became People Cube. This is unfortunate because according to the
time line provided originally, the issues would have been resolved. It
seems now they are hearing about them for the first time..

John

Sounds like it could be related. I've run the client logger and sent a
couple of logs too but no solutions were forthcoming. My user doesn't have
her entire calendar booked, but she uses MM a lot, and our database goes
back several years. I don't expect to be able to trim it down to a year or