MMRX Analyze Broken
Anderson, Kelly
2005-03-28 23:49:56 UTC
Hey fellow MM Admins....

I've been recently told by MM Tech Support that there is a "Known Bug"
in v7.5.3 that prevents the MMRX Analyze function to work...at all. As
I'm sure you can appreciate, this is preventing me from providing any
management reports or usage tracking as we are accustomed.

For those of you who may be in a similar position, do any of you have a
workaround? Tech Support was unable to provide me a workaround aside
from "it's fixed in version 8.5".

- Kelly

Kelly J. Anderson
ITCS, University of Michigan
http://www.umich.edu/~lannos

* MMXP-TALK Web Page: http://WWW.LISTSERV.Emory.Edu/Archives/MMXP-TALK.HTML
Steve Maser
2005-03-29 14:00:12 UTC

>Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 18:49:56 -0500
>From: "Anderson, Kelly" <***@UMICH.EDU>
>Subject: MMRX Analyze Broken
>
>Hey fellow MM Admins....
>
>I've been recently told by MM Tech Support that there is a "Known Bug"
>in v7.5.3 that prevents the MMRX Analyze function to work...at all. As
>I'm sure you can appreciate, this is preventing me from providing any
>management reports or usage tracking as we are accustomed. =20
>
>For those of you who may be in a similar position, do any of you have a
>workaround? Tech Support was unable to provide me a workaround aside
>from "it's fixed in version 8.5". =20
>
>- Kelly =20
> =20

FWIW -- I never had a problem using "analyze" with MMRX 7.5.3. I was always able to get my login information for my users.

What did they say specifically didn't work? (I couldn't try this now as we've moved to 8.5 -- but I know I ran the analysis on 7.5.3 prior to moving to 8.5 to see if I could delete any dead accounts prior to the upgrade...)

- Steve
--
Steve Maser (***@umich.edu) | Thinking is man's only basic virtue,
Systems Project Coordinator | from which all the others proceed.

* MMXP-TALK Web Page: http://WWW.LISTSERV.Emory.Edu/Archives/MMXP-TALK.HTML
Anderson, Kelly
2005-03-29 17:40:54 UTC
Steve,

I'm running MM 7.5.3 on Linux. Were you running Linux?

- Kelly

Ian Eiloart
2005-03-30 10:59:45 UTC
--On March 28, 2005 18:49:56 -0500 "Anderson, Kelly" <***@UMICH.EDU>
wrote:

> Hey fellow MM Admins....
>
> I've been recently told by MM Tech Support that there is a "Known Bug"
> in v7.5.3 that prevents the MMRX Analyze function to work...at all. As
> I'm sure you can appreciate, this is preventing me from providing any
> management reports or usage tracking as we are accustomed.
>
> For those of you who may be in a similar position, do any of you have a
> workaround? Tech Support was unable to provide me a workaround aside
> from "it's fixed in version 8.5".

Well, mmrx isn't completely broken. I use it in MacOSX.

However, it does often crash on completion - fortunately after writing the
output file.

It does also write a lot of nonsense into the output file. Some of the data
just isn't what it is supposed to be.

And, it lets you analyse a period that ends before it starts.

So, yes it is broken in lots of ways, but it does still produce some useful
output. I find the last login date is useful for keeping track of who
really is using meetingmaker. Currently that's about 40% of registered
users.
--
Ian Eiloart
Servers Team

* MMXP-TALK Web Page: http://WWW.LISTSERV.Emory.Edu/Archives/MMXP-TALK.HTML
Anderson, Kelly
2005-03-30 12:43:43 UTC
I'm running 7.5.3 on RH Linux. When we start Analyze (on Linux), within
less than a minute we get this error:

line 9: XXXX Segmentation Fault

The XXXX is a number (for example 5693) that changes each time we run
analyze.

There is no output file, except for a line or two of nonsense.

I've copied the bak file to a windows machine and tried it there with
the exact same results.

When we ran MM servers on Windows, I ran Analyze without any problems.
But then again, I was running 7.2.1 on Windows.

So, yes, Analyze is broken. Tech Support mentioned Bug #8080 in their
response, but I can't query that bug in the bug list on their support
site, I'm told I don't have access to that bug report.

- Kelly

Ian Eiloart
2005-03-30 13:04:34 UTC
--On March 30, 2005 07:43:43 -0500 "Anderson, Kelly" <***@UMICH.EDU>
wrote:

> I'm running 7.5.3 on RH Linux. When we start Analyze (on Linux), within
> less than a minute we get this error:
>
> line 9: XXXX Segmentation Fault

Hmm, in general MM 7.5 software misbehaves badly when faced with
permissions problems. Make sure that you have write access in the directory
that mmrx is installed (I know that's bonkers, but that's where it wants to
write the file - it's a windows thing, I think), and in your current
working directory.

If you have existing data files users.csv or events.csv - make sure you
have write permissions on those files, too.

Anderson, Kelly
2005-03-30 13:28:47 UTC
In Linux, running as Root, no pre-existing csv files. Will check out
the permissions and working directory to be sure.

This is the first time we've run Analyze on Linux, but we've run MMRX
successfully on Linux to Check/Fix multiple times.

- Kelly