MAPI from Address Book in 8.5?
Thomas Betz
2005-02-11 22:10:08 UTC
Christian Müller wrote:
> Frankly: The HTML Interface is nice and quite fast, other then that we are not
>that much impressed with the progress the software has taken since 6.07.

Thank you for your feedback. That's a bit disappointing.

Another reason we are considering upgrading is that MAPI support from
the addressbook is not good in 6.07 -- I am unable to click on an e-mail
address and launch my mail client (at present, Mozilla Thunderbird) to
send an e-mail.

Does this work properly in 8.5?

--
Tom Betz, System Administrator
Greyston Foundation

* MMXP-TALK Web Page: http://WWW.LISTSERV.Emory.Edu/Archives/MMXP-TALK.HTML
Christian Müller
2005-02-11 22:37:02 UTC
not sure what you mean. If you refer to e-mail address inside the notes of a meeting, that does not work.... at least not on the Mac-client. See enclosed screenshot.. Double-clicking on the e-mail address there does NOT open the e-mail client.

(Thats even a bit surprising, since double-clicking e-mail addresses to open a mailer works almost everywhere on a Mac)

Another thing I do not like that much is that in proposals you now have no small overview of the given day anymore (as it has been in 6.07) So if you want to know, whats going on at that day, you have to change to the main window and scroll to the given date. See enclosed screen-shots "newprop" to see what I mean.

Also: When I mentioned earlier, that we did not see that much of a progress, then please keep in mind, that we have a relatively small installation of only 30 users on one server. It might be, that larger installations with hubs/more server got advantages on the server side I'm not aware of.

mit freundlichen Gruessen

Christian Mueller

Cronon AG
STRATO Rechenzentrum AG

Berlin

***@cronon.net

Ian Eiloart
2005-02-15 18:11:49 UTC
--On February 11, 2005 17:10:08 -0500 Thomas Betz <***@GREYSTON.ORG> wrote:

> Christian Müller wrote:
>> Frankly: The HTML Interface is nice and quite fast, other then that we
>> are not
> >that much impressed with the progress the software has taken since 6.07.
>
> Thank you for your feedback. That's a bit disappointing.
>
> Another reason we are considering upgrading is that MAPI support from the
> addressbook is not good in 6.07 -- I am unable to click on an e-mail
> address and launch my mail client (at present, Mozilla Thunderbird) to
> send an e-mail.
>
> Does this work properly in 8.5?

IIRC that does work. I participated in the beta, but my trial license has
expired, so I can't check.

--
Ian Eiloart
Servers Team

* MMXP-TALK Web Page: http://WWW.LISTSERV.Emory.Edu/Archives/MMXP-TALK.HTML
Ian Eiloart
2005-02-15 18:12:46 UTC
--On February 11, 2005 17:10:08 -0500 Thomas Betz <***@GREYSTON.ORG> wrote:

> Christian Müller wrote:
>> Frankly: The HTML Interface is nice and quite fast, other then that we
>> are not
> >that much impressed with the progress the software has taken since 6.07.
>
> Thank you for your feedback. That's a bit disappointing.
>
> Another reason we are considering upgrading is that MAPI support from the
> addressbook is not good in 6.07 -- I am unable to click on an e-mail
> address and launch my mail client (at present, Mozilla Thunderbird) to
> send an e-mail.
>
> Does this work properly in 8.5?

However, email invitations and alerts don't work properly - not if you have
a secure mail server that requires you to authenticate.

--
Ian Eiloart
Servers Team

* MMXP-TALK Web Page: http://WWW.LISTSERV.Emory.Edu/Archives/MMXP-TALK.HTML
Jack Newton
2005-02-15 18:46:31 UTC
I guess it depends on where your talking about. From the contact/address book, selecting the email button will launch whatever you have set for your default email client. I have tried it with multiple programs but can't say I've tried it with Thunderbird.

A neat little feature in 8.5 is that you can email directly from the meeting now for a quick email notification of everyone invited. The regular email invtiing function is also still there but from what I remember about version 6, it's a heck of a lot more stable.

Jack

Thomas Betz
2005-03-10 19:54:17 UTC
Jack Newton wrote:
> I guess it depends on where your talking about. From the contact/address
> book, selecting the email button will launch whatever you have set for your
> default email client. I have tried it with multiple programs but can't say
> I've tried it with Thunderbird.

For the record, I installed the "Free+3" trial on a PC with Thunderbird,
and it did work correctly.

Jack Newton
2005-02-15 18:48:50 UTC
"Another thing I do not like that much is that in proposals you now have no small
overview of the given day anymore (as it has been in 6.07) So if you want to
know, whats going on at that day, you have to change to the main window and
scroll to the given date"

To see more info on your proposals window, you need to click on the +- More button. This expands or compresses the view to show more detail about the proposals.

So the change in 8.5 is that you can now control how much information you see.

Jack

Jack Newton
2005-02-15 18:53:33 UTC
"However, email invitations and alerts don't work properly - not if you have
a secure mail server that requires you to authenticate"

I'd have to debate that your statement is inaccurate. The program is designed without SMTP authentication, that does not make it a bug. I know of a few other software packages that have the same requirement.

So when you set it up with an SMTP server that does not require authentication, email invitations and alerts work fine.

You can install another SMTP server anywhere on your network and get free ones from dozens of sources so it shouldn't be that big a deal.

I agree however that it would be nice to have authentication.

Jack

Ian Eiloart
2005-02-15 19:18:05 UTC
--On February 15, 2005 18:53:33 +0000 Jack Newton <***@COMCAST.NET>
wrote:

> "However, email invitations and alerts don't work properly - not if you
> have a secure mail server that requires you to authenticate"
>
> I'd have to debate that your statement is inaccurate. The program is
> designed without SMTP authentication, that does not make it a bug. I know
> of a few other software packages that have the same requirement.

Well, I didn't say it was a bug. It is a missing feature. I guess I'm
defining "properly" as in a manner that suits people who care about their
mail systems being vulnerable to viruses.

We may have to set up a mail server specifically to handle meetingmaker
email unless this is fixed pretty soon.

Christian Müller
2005-02-15 19:23:13 UTC

well, that does not what I mean. See the red circel in the screenshot of the old version, to see which part I liked. Its the sort of mini schedule overview of the day at which the proposed meeting shall take place. This thing was very handy, since it allowed you to see the REST of the day. Sometimes a meeting can take place because MeetingMaker says you are availabel at that time. But a look at the "mini scedule overview" at that day shows you f.e. that you allready have a meeting ending just at the propesed start time of the next meeting (so that you have no buffer at all, not even for the restroom) Sometimes thats a good information to have before you want to agree to a meeting. With the old version you could see that at once, with the new version you have to click in another window and the scroll to the day an then click back to the proposel.

mit freundlichen Gruessen

Christian Mueller

Cronon AG
STRATO Rechenzentrum AG

Berlin

***@cronon.net

Jack Newton
2005-02-15 20:32:48 UTC
"We may have to set up a mail server specifically to handle meetingmaker
email unless this is fixed pretty soon."

I'll assume you mean "enhanced". ;-)

Jack